Friday, April 16, 2010

At my OB appt...

everything went just dandy. Weight gain was good (2.5lbs for the entire 1st trimester), blood pressure was good and we got to hear the heartbeat. There is almost nothing more fascinating than hearing the sound of the tiny baby's heartbeat. If you've never heard it, it sounds like a galloping horse and the sound just fills the room. And I prefaced that statement with an almost, because today we discovered something even better than hearing your baby's heartbeat for the first time.

How about hearing your baby's heartbeat for the first time while simultaneously seeing the expression of complete awe and happiness on the faces of your three and four year olds who are hearing it at the same time.

Seriously. Best thing ever.

We intentionally took all 3 kiddos to the appointment so that they could hear the heartbeat. And boy when they heard it were they just fascinated. I mean they were completely silent, standing completely still and grinning from ear to ear.

"Dat's the babies heart!?"....."I can hear it!!"

Then Dr. P asked them if they thought the baby was a baby brother or a baby sister. They answered at the exact same time "SISTER!!". Dr P then turned the fetal doppler towards me and said ''Well Mom, they might just be right. That's a pretty high heartbeat."

It was fluctuating back and forth between 166 & 168.

Never in any of my pregnancies has the HB been that high. I'm trying not to read too much into it. After all, it is an Old Wive's Tale that states under 140 means boy, over means girl. And Peanut's did get as high as 155, twice actually.

Either way it's fun to wonder. And it's great knowing that we have a healthy baby that is growing right on track!

3 comments:

  1. Glad to hear everything is right on track! I'm feeling girl vibes, I tell you! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cute story. I miss the crazies :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You just about gave me a heart attack when you asked what was better than hearing your baby's heartbeat...I thought after that you were going to say something like, "hearing TWO babies heart's beating!" and were announcing that you're having twins! LOL! That's awesome that the heartbeat was so high! Parker's was never higher than 158 and it was usually between 150-155. I hope for your sake that you finally get your little girl! If not, we already know you guys make adorable little boys so we'll all love whatever you have!! Always love the updates...keep 'em coming! :)

    ReplyDelete