Wednesday, December 22, 2010

"Well the weather outside is frightful..."

um...no.

"Dashing through the snow..."

try again.

"I'll have a blue Christmas without you.."

getting closer...almost there.

"I'll be home for Christmas...If only in my dreams"

Yep, got it. That's the one that best describes the holidays for our family this year.

Technically we are ''home'' but come on, will a place that reaches 82 degrees on December 21st every really be home to a Kansas girl? Seriously, we turned on our AC today. I went to the store tonight to buy stocking stuffers and at 8pm just four days before Christmas, I wore flip flops, capris and drove with my windows down.

Winter Wonderland? I think not. Totally kick-ass weather for going anywhere with four kids without worrying about marshmallow puffy coats and hats, yes. So, it probably goes without saying, but it's been really hard for me to have that rush of holiday excitement. It's a combination of moving, of online shopping being entirely too convenient for a mom of four who didn't rush any crowds this year, of missing family and friends, and of crazy warm weather.

But as a mom of four kids, you gotta do what you gotta do. The boys could care less if there isn't snow, there are still presents! So I have neglected blogging in the evenings and have instead been busy wrapping presents, baking cookies, remembering to move our Elf, digging out holiday decorations, and figuring out what the heck we're going to have for Christmas dinner.

Yep, it's the Christmas season and even though I may be lacking the usual Shannon super-excitement, I can fake it with the best of them. We have chocolate covered pretzels, we have peanut butter cookies and sugar cookies. We have indoor garland, hanging Christmas cards, cranberry scented candles and homemade wreaths.There is a spiral cut ham in my fridge and a can of French's Fried Onions in my pantry. My freezer is full with frozen strawberries and Cool Whip. {Which in my family can only mean Strawberry Pretzel Salad is in the works}.

A copy of ''How the Grinch Stole Christmas'' has a semi-permanent spot on the shelf in my living room, I've said the words ''We do not touch the presents/tree/stockings'' roughly 30 times each day, and I've belted out ''ALVINNNNNNNNNN" right along with the giggling voices of bubba, pooks and peanut each.and.every.day; all while still finishing up the song by saying ''That's enough boys, let's not over do it" and finding myself laughing (everytime) that Pooks belts out in response ''Whaddayamean overdoit???".

Yes, much like the Grinch I've come to realize that Christmas isn't just about presents or even traditions....it's about making the best with what you have and appreciating those around you {even if it's not everyone that you're used to}.


Happy Holidays!

2 comments:

  1. Just enjoy the little ones. Thats all that really counts. See Christmas through their eyes. That will always make you smile!

    Merry Christmas!

    daD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Youneed to cut yourself some slack, girl! Holy cow- a new little one and a huge move away from family- OF COURSE things are going to be a little discombobulated this year!!! Just enjoy it the best you can- you know those kiddos will, regardless!

    ReplyDelete